HydraTools and minimal images

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 08:47:54 UTC 2008

On 15/02/2008, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:52:41 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>  >>  >
>  >>  >  > What i can currently do, is provide an implementation of reliable
>  >>  >  > bidirectional communication. The rest, i hope you can do yourself.
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  > If I had a wish free: when you begin with reliable bidirectional
>  >>  >  communication please use, for the public part, the vocabulary which
>  >> is
>  >>  >  present in Socket's message categories #open, #queries, #receiving,
>  >>  >  #sending and #waiting. Please.
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >> channels don't having too much methods requiring that many category
>  >> types.
>  >>  As you may noticed they are very basic wrap around corresponding
>  >> primitives.
>  >>
>  >>
>  > Oh, i wasn't attentive when writing this. I meant for current
>  > implementation only.
>

> ... ah, and I was just about to think that it wasn't you who wrote ;-)
>

>  > Of course, a bidirectional protocol will look as much as close to
>  > sockets :)
>

> NB, some fruits with HydraSMS and its same-method principle, a #doit from
>  a workspace, just out of the blue and neither any other preparation nor
>  other knowledge:
>
>   | sms | sms := HydraSMS doitAt: 2.
>   sms atHomeDo: [Transcript cr; show: 'Hydra .image #2 is up and running']
>
>  , for which #doitAt: automagically compiles the very-same method in the
>  other image :)

Be warned, that using index instead of handle to identify interpreter
is not a good way.

All primitives are handle-oriented, an #at: methods simply doing:
HydraVM interpreters at: n.

There is a danger, that when in future i add code to shutdown images,
then indexed can be changed, and thus, code based on indexes might
fail, because
if you having 3 interpreters running:

#(x y z)

and you shutting down 2nd one,
then 'HydraVM interpreters' will return array with 2 handles:
#(x z) , so #at: 3 will lead to error, and #at: 2 will return different handle.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.