The perfect revision control system

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 03:57:58 UTC 2008

On 2/15/08, Jason Johnson <jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am considering starting on a project idea I had for a darcs-like
> version control system in Squeak (based on the low level Delta streams
> classes), but I thought I would pull a little input first.  The main
> thing I want to know is, what is the consensus on the scope of
> changes?  Should it stop at method, or should it go all the way into
> the source code?  Since everything, including the parsing, is done in
> Smalltalk we can go down to the AST level for changes.

I don't see any benefit in processing changes at the AST level. The
same results can be achieved by comparing the source of two methods,
perhaps pre-compiling them and comparing their ASTs if you want. Plus,
by having the method source, the VC system is more robust.

I was hoping you were going to ask a more general question, such as
"is this list of features sufficient for a VC system?".

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/