change-sets-vs-snapshots

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 00:19:11 UTC 2008

change-sets-vs-snapshots

***
> in
> The perfect revision control system thread
>Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
>Sat Feb 16 21:00:08 UTC 2008  wrote:
>
>If you look at discussion of versioning system around
the net, you'll
>run across bitter arguments about
change-sets-vs-snapshots. As far as
>I can tell, the two are information-equivalent. I
think it boils down
>to how you prefer to think about the problem.

***

This would be about arguing income statements vs.
balance sheets.

The info is complementary not the same.  Change-sets
get you from snapshot to snapshot. The difference
between two snapshots is a change but not a sequence
of change sets.  The use case that point this out is a
move or a swap

the change needed for a swap is:
temp := a .
a := b .
b := temp .

See:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-February/101071.html
For an Andreas Raab take on this with the original MC.

My curiosity is, if you are thinking what you said
above, do you still have a blind spot for time and
sequence?

As a bug tracker I find it helps to follow the beast
every step of the way. The culprit sometimes covers
his tracks and it is best to catch him in the act.