The perfect revision control system

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun Feb 17 05:02:11 UTC 2008

On 16-Feb-08, at 6:46 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Guys, wouldn't it better for you and rest of us all to join efforts,
> and make
> DS + MC2 ?
> It's really pain to see, that you both duplicating work in multiple
> areas.

I don't really think that would be possible. The two systems are two
different to be combined into a single system. They might be
complimentary, though we won't know how that works out in practice for
a while.

> Hoping you will not consider my 2 cents as offensive act :)

Not at all. I can understand the community being frustrated with me. I
got MC2 to alpha-quality, made all sort of promises, then let it stall
for 2 years, while I put my effort into my day job. Göran and Matthew
got tired of waiting for something better than MC1 and set out to do
it themselves. I've also resumed work on MC2 and now we've got two,
apparently competing projects.

But actually, I think this is a good thing. MC2 is much better than
MC1, but it won't be the last word in versioning systems. DeltaStreams
and Jason's new project pursue a completely different philosophy on
versioning, and I'll be interested to see what they come up with.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Colin