[squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri Feb 22 13:25:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 14:03 +0100, stephan at stack.nl wrote:
> Igor Wrote:
> > Are you talking about porting VM to support 64 bit platform, or only
> > concerned about running 32bit VM on 64bit platform?
> >
> > In anyway, it requires some investigation. But not by me :) ,
> > currently,  i don't have 64bit PC at my disposal.
>
> I would want to run say 8 1GByte 32-bits images. That's currently
> EUR 134 at my local shop.

You could do this with your 32-bit hardware I guess. I don't know
if there are many boards for 32bit architecture that feature
more physical memory than 4GB. Pentium Pro Processors and up
support PAE [1] which enables you to use more than 4 GB. If your
application only uses 1GB I think this wouldn't be a problem.
I'm not sure but a linux with high mem support should be able to
run 8 32bit vms with 32bit image each 1GB. Is this right?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

N.