[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Feb 22 17:43:37 UTC 2008

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Well, there is people who wish to see such capabilities, and if Spoon
> features orthogonal to your approach, then why not include them?

Because there is cost associated with it. Probably some runtime cost
(which I haven't measured) but definitely cost in terms of added
complexity in the VM.

> In this case both camps will feel suited with new VM and can use it in
> one way or another.

My problem with this is that I cannot see any situation in which someone
would really want to rely on that mechanism. It seems to me that the
approach is (as you said in an earlier email) a way to create smaller
images "without much effort". I'm interested in the *hard* way of doing
this (i.e., by going in and refactoring and removing things manually)
because I think this is the only way in which it can be done in practice.

But be that as it may - the real question is this: Let's assume we have
a tiny kernel image that is about 100k in size and that we can build up
from. What good is the mechanism at this point? It seems to me that it
is only useful to get to a small image but once this is achieved it's
basically obsolete. And I'm definitely not in favor to modify the VM for
something that will only have a very short window of usefulness.

Cheers,
   - Andreas