[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 18:19:39 UTC 2008

On 22/02/2008, Stephen Pair <stephen at pairhome.net> wrote:
> I can imagine a system where the display for another hydra instance appears
> like a small icon (akin to a morphic sub project, or even a croquet
> portal)...jump into it and the bits on the display are being painted by the
> other hydra instance.  You are now immersed in this other object space and
> able to freely work with all the tools, etc.  This seems a much easier path
> than trying to shuffle a bunch of objects between images and build remote
> enabled tools.
>
> - Stephen

Yes, HydraVM architecture designed in way, that its potentially easy
to shuffle heads.
Early, i'm even thinking about adding some magic keys (like Alt-TAB ..
) to shuffle ownership of screen and input between images.
Or even add support to have each thread having own separate window and input.
But i'm not sure if we really need to push things in that way, because
its would be not better than running multiple processes each with own
image.
In another turn, an absence of ways how you can interact with images
directly pushing you forward to develop a ways how you can control
them remotely. Which is good :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.