[squeak-dev] Monticello and Branches

Fri Feb 22 22:52:13 UTC 2008

I have spoken to Avi a little bit about this, but I need some help.

Sophie has tons of packages, 20+, plus all of the tweak and squeak
packages.

I need a way where I can take the current state of a config map and
branch it.  Really branch it, so any checkins on the branch are
CLEARLY going into the branch only.

Avi mentioned using new packages, but quite frankly that seems very
error prone and cumbersome, especially when you're not exactly sure
what to do.

In svn, I simply copy my current tree to a new 'directory' and I'm
done.  I can switch between the branches easily.

We're getting bitten doing real, crunch time development where I can't
just easily branch off the current state of our project as "1.0b10"
and then build, without others checking in code while I am doing this,
or, working on the branch for 3 days to get it stable while others
work on the trunk.

This is very important, so if any of you have solutions for now to use
MC like I use svn, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Steve