[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sat Feb 23 03:32:28 UTC 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Stephen Pair wrote:

> I must say, this is a really impressive development.  I really think
> this is the right way to approach multi-core systems.
>
> At work, we have a highly distributed system (some customers are
> running as many as 50 nodes with a mix of VW and C++ processes on
> each).  Occassionally some of our people in the field or customers
> complain that any one process isn't taking advantage of the multi-
> core architectures they run on.  After reminding them that in fact
> we are using those CPUs because we are running many processes on
> those nodes, we also highlight the fact that our C++ component,
> which utilizes many threads (in a retrospectively naive way),
> actually degrades in performance when you drop it onto a multi-core
> machine (and it degrades badly).  All those highly active threads
> contending for the same shared memory isn't quite so good.  ;)

Could you elaborate on the shared-memory contention? Last year we were
having the preliminary discussions that led to Hydra VM, and I argued
(on theoretical grounds) that  fine-grained multithreading within a
single object memory could cause serious memory contention problems.
I'd be interested to hear more about your real-world experiences.

Thanks,
Josh