[squeak-dev] Re: HydraVM bins update. Was: (Re: Re: Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:31:39 UTC 2008

On 24/02/2008, Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Igor:
>
>   I played a bit with this new vm (I think is different from the
>   yesterday one) in another machine (were also the images were
>   freezing).
>
>   Trying with croquet image, don't freezes anymore.
>
>   Trying with a 3.9-7067 final don't freezes neither.
>
>   In this last I installed HydraVM and the results of trying the commands
> are:
>
>   HydraVM isHydra (ok)
>
>   HydraVM saveAsHeadlessImage: 'test.image' hangup the image with lot of
>    messages "handling events nnnn" on the cmd console (or log file).

- this was trace message, for debugging. I removed it in latest binaries.

For firing delay semaphore events i tried:
 - waitable timers in separate thread. This caused freezing on some PCs.

 - multimedia timer event (with mmsystem). It also using separate
thread under the hood. In this case no freezing was reported anymore,
but i found that it's not 100% stable. Now at my PC, at some random
point after using VM, it starts eating 100% CPU and stops responding
to anything.

- with last build, i turned back to use own thread, but this time
without waitable timers. There is an event, which fired when delay
setting up, but thread's inner loop using simple waiting for event or
timeout. No freezing reported in this case, also it looks like issue
with 100% CPU hogging is gone.
http://ftp.squeak.org/HydraVM/latest_builds/win32/HydraVM-bin.zip (
24-Feb-2008 00:01)

>   After this crash the image don't respond (at windows level, means that
>   I can't close pressing the X window button) and remain unusable. I
>    meant after killing this process the image don't start anymore with
>   croquet.exe nor with a common vm.
>
>   Tried the same but with 3.9-7067 dev from Damien Cassou the image
>   respond to 2 "Alt + ." when trying to generate the headless image and
>
>    the image seems to be a  bit "confused" (I need to restore display
> several times).
>
>   Obviosuly the previous is because I must press "Alt + ." because the
>   generation of the headless image never ends.

A script for preparing image works only for croquet images. I will
explore what is not working in 3.9 - 3.10 images before releasing next
update.

By running #saveAsHeadlessImage: squeak should quit and if it don't
quits, then there is an error.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.