[squeak-dev] Re: HydraVM bins update. Was: (Re: Re: Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM)

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 19:59:03 UTC 2008

Hi:

2008/2/24, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:

> On 24/02/2008, Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Igor:
> >
> >   I played a bit with this new vm (I think is different from the
> >   yesterday one) in another machine (were also the images were
> >   freezing).
> >
> >   Trying with croquet image, don't freezes anymore.
> >
> >   Trying with a 3.9-7067 final don't freezes neither.
> >
> >   In this last I installed HydraVM and the results of trying the
> commands
> > are:
> >
> >   HydraVM isHydra (ok)
> >
> >   HydraVM saveAsHeadlessImage: 'test.image' hangup the image with lot of
> >    messages "handling events nnnn" on the cmd console (or log file).
> >

> - this was trace message, for debugging. I removed it in latest binaries.

ok,  I saw.

For firing delay semaphore events i tried:
>   - waitable timers in separate thread. This caused freezing on some PCs.
>
>   - multimedia timer event (with mmsystem). It also using separate
> thread under the hood. In this case no freezing was reported anymore,
> but i found that it's not 100% stable. Now at my PC, at some random
> point after using VM, it starts eating 100% CPU and stops responding
> to anything.

Don't experienced myself, but hear of other with this CPU problem.

- with last build, i turned back to use own thread, but this time
> without waitable timers. There is an event, which fired when delay
> setting up, but thread's inner loop using simple waiting for event or
> timeout. No freezing reported in this case, also it looks like issue
> with 100% CPU hogging is gone.
> http://ftp.squeak.org/HydraVM/latest_builds/win32/HydraVM-bin.zip (
> 24-Feb-2008 00:01)

Will check asap.

>   After this crash the image don't respond (at windows level, means that
> >   I can't close pressing the X window button) and remain unusable. I
> >    meant after killing this process the image don't start anymore with
> >   croquet.exe nor with a common vm.
> >
> >   Tried the same but with 3.9-7067 dev from Damien Cassou the image
> >   respond to 2 "Alt + ." when trying to generate the headless image and
> >
> >    the image seems to be a  bit "confused" (I need to restore display
> > several times).
> >
> >   Obviosuly the previous is because I must press "Alt + ." because the
> >   generation of the headless image never ends.
> >

> A script for preparing image works only for croquet images. I will
> explore what is not working in 3.9 - 3.10 images before releasing next
> update.
>
> By running #saveAsHeadlessImage: squeak should quit and if it don't
> quits, then there is an error.

I think that the problem (only checked very fast without much time to test)
is related with the class InterruptWatcherProcess that don't exist in the
images I have (except on Croquet). But, as I've said, only checked very
fast.

>   Hope this help.
> >
> >   Cheers.
> >
> >   ---