[squeak-dev] Fwd: Web page with status of squeak license issue resolution?

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 11:43:04 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: José L. Redrejo Rodríguez <jredrejo at edu.juntaextremadura.net>
Date: Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: Web page with status of squeak license issue resolution?
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com>
Cc: Damien Pollet <damien.pollet at gmail.com>, debian-edu at lists.debian.org

 El mar, 26-02-2008 a las 08:29 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen escribió:

> Hi.  We spoke together after your lightning talk on FOSDEM about
 > getting squeak into Debian.  You mentioned that there is slow progress
 > in getting the license question resolved, but that it is a lot of
 > work.  Is there a web page documenting the status of this work?  Like
 > who need to be contacted, who is already contacted and who is left to
 > contact?
 >
 > As I mentioned earlier, we in the Debian Edu community are interested
 > in including squeak into our distribution, and for this reason want to
 > see it in Debian/main.  CC to our list to keep the other maintainers
 > updated on the squeak status.
 >
 > I've found <URL:http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/159> and
 > <URL:http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3733> but did not see any
 > information there about the work on contacting previous authors to get
 > them to agree on a relicensing.

 Those page are obsolete.
 The relicensing process is described and updated at
 http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6016

 As the part of code that has not been relicensed is because contacting
 the authors has not been possible, current plans are rewritting that
 part of code.

 About taking Squeak in Debian, I have an ITP over the squeak virtual
 machine (#454635) and I plan to upload it as soon as I have time to
 finish a couple of pending patches for 64 bits platforms.
 There are different ways to use Squeak, people from squeak.org are more
 focused in using squeak as a development tool, and people from
 squeakland.org are more focused in using it for kids and teaching and
 currently working on the OLPC project. My intention is to do the
 squeak-vm interface oriented to teachers and students and give to the
 interface as better integration with the desktop as possible.

 For future Squeak images, as soon as the license issue is finished, we
 can work on different images. At Extremadura we have been working on
 customizing the image with a more updated interface, more eyecandy and
 adding projects from all around the world (Germany, Japan, Spain & USA)
 with a lot of educative tools. The project and the image is available at
 http://squeak.educarex.es. We have also made some interactive books for
 maths with the image. Those images are used in our school and will be
 uploaded to Debian when possible.

 So, in brief, today smalltalk developers are needed to recode the small
 part of code that has not been relicensed yet. There are some voices
 that say that FSF allows releasing under a free license if the
 percentage of code without the license is lower than 5%. If that were
 true it could be done today, but nobody is sure about it.

 Regards.
 José L.

--
Damien Pollet