[squeak-dev] My answers to election's 10 questions.

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:06:24 UTC 2008

 > 1. Approximately, how much time do you plan on spending on Squeak
 > during the coming year (in any kind of unit)?

It's hard to say. Currently i'm spending all my time on Squeak. Things
may change, of course. But i think, at least 2 hours per day i'll
spend on Squeak in any case.

 > 2. What are in your mind the three most important issues (not
 > necessarily technical) we need to address in the coming year?

Besides licensing. We should think about making community more
organized, in terms of better communication and cooperation.

 > 3. What is your view on fund raising and how any such collected money
 > should be dealt with?

A money donated to SqF should serve for the community benefit.
I think, it would be good to make addressed help to developers of most
awaited products or most awaited enhancements. A community by own can
decide which project should receive a grant: we can set-up a monthly
survey, and community members can give own voice for the project they
think need some monetary support. In that way, SqF can help with
raising peoples motivation.

 > 4. What is your view on the ongoing process of making SqueakFoundation
 > a not-for-profit legal entity?

I think it's a right choice to become a legal entity. This will add
more weight to foundation itself and to community. I see a
SqueakFoundation as well respected and well known entity  which serves
in best interests of squeak community: helping members and protecting
their rights.

 > 5. Do you think the Team model is appropriate for organising our
 > efforts or should we come up with something else?

Team, is a group of enthusiasts which joining efforts on some task.
Since all of them are volunteers, and since people's interests may
change very fast (in a couple of months), it's really hard to push
task to finish line with same team as it was started.
Also, most of us don't like to be ashamed being known as someone who
started something and never finished it.
In general, team model is good, but we need some people spending time
to oversee project activities and provide help in case if it's being
stuck.
Also, addressed help may be an option to motivate people join team(s).

 > 6. Do you have any specific views on how the Squeak board and the
 > Squeak community should work together with the Squeak satellite
 > communities (Croquet, Seaside, Sophie, Squeakland, Scratch etc), also
 > referred to as "stakeholder communities"?

Obviously, we should collaborate and exchange ideas and common improvements.
The main problem which standing before fruitful exchange, is the lack
of tools and lack of modularity.
So, the primary goal of the board in next years, should be to make
these tools available, which should help a lot in sharing code between
communities.

 > 7. The squeak.org release is our most important asset. How do you see
 > it evolving over the next few years?

In order of priority:
- make it modular.
- make it more appeal for newcomers (by improving GUI).
- make it more appeal for business applications (by improving GIU/dev
tools and related).

 > 8. Do you have any thoughts on the current relicensing effort?

I think it should be finished as soon as possible, to not constrain us anymore.

 > 9. How would you like Squeak to be positioned in the open source world
 > in year 2012?

As a modern platform for creating applications, authoring and
modeling. And as best platform for experimenting and inventing.

 > 10. What do you see as the overall role of the board?

Organizational, promotional, helpful to community.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.