[squeak-dev] Re: Delay time question

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Feb 28 08:26:44 UTC 2008

Robert F. Scheer wrote:
> I forgot to be very clear about this in the last post, there is one main
> reason why C would have no trouble keeping these loops all serviced.
>
> The reads would block.  While waiting for the first byte of a packet to
> come in for the next cycle, no processing cycles would be consumed.  No
> delays inside loops would be needed.

I see. Well, if you'd be willing to throw a couple of native threads at
the problem to service these lines, you could deal with the problem
easily simply by writing the blocking read in C and have that (once it
reads the data) signal a semaphore in Squeak which makes the associated
Squeak process wake up and retrieve and process the data you just read.

Cheers,
   - Andreas