[squeak-dev] Re: Delay time question

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Feb 28 17:14:07 UTC 2008

On Feb 27, 2008, at 11:58 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> John M McIntosh wrote:
>> I can't speak for Windows works but the magic on unix systems
>> happens in ioRelinquishProcessorForMicroseconds
>
> But none of it contradicts what I said earlier - if platformSleep
> uses the system's default timer (which it should) then the accuracy
> of C code will be no better than the accuracy of Squeak. And if it
> doesn't, well then the code is broken and you should fix it. It sure
> as hell works on Windows (perhaps I can shame you into fixing it? ;-)

Oh, no not me, you see years ago we used Open Transport for tcp/ip
which was interrupt driven and then the non-portable thread sleep logic.

a SortedCollection(895->1 99->2 5->3 1->4)  (2003) likely data would
be better today on machines being much faster.

Then one weekend I convince Ian he had to change the unix socket code
so that it would actually run my Socket SUnits. It helped
that was 9 hours west of him because he kinda zoned out on me after 36
hours or so of coding. Well plus he discovered a bug in the NetBSD tcp/
ip stack
which didn't help things and we had to document that for the BSD team.

After that I switch to the unix socket code, and later had to migrate
to the unix aioPoll sleep logic because of Socket accept issues, which
as you see gives jittery results.  Fixing that requires more work from
Ian...

--
=
=