[squeak-dev] Re: Delay time question

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Feb 28 19:26:00 UTC 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 20:26 , Robert F. Scheer wrote:
> My conclusion is not to use 1ms delays anywhere in the time critical
> loops of the robot.  I'm off to look at the interprocess semaphore
> methods that David and Andreas have alluded to.  It looks like C
> serial
> handlers are the way to go atm.

Well, I had satisfactory results reading from a pipe using AsyncFile
(had to add a utility method though):

	http://tinlizzie.org/updates/olpc/updates/0995sugar-bf.cs

In this code, #readChar blocks until data is actually available - it
might work to just open /dev/tty... and start reading in a process,
similar to what I did in #fetchCommandsFrom:.

- Bert -