[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak-dev .images #initializeMemorySettings [was: 100 Million objects]

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Feb 29 08:31:39 UTC 2008

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> I suggest to activate the #initializeMemorySettings which Andreas posted
> in the squeak-dev and -web .images. TIA.

I wouldn't. These settings were chosen to balance the tradeoffs between
interactive rates (real-time voice and sound processing) as well as
large memory allocations (big chunks of memory for textures etc). For a
web-image (which has no real-time constraints) I would almost certainly
choose different values. And for an image that usually stays below 100MB
in size, I would choose even different values.

For example, for the web image try:
- allocation between GCs: 100,000
- tenuring threshold: 25,000 (maybe even 35,000)
The above will GC less often but take slightly longer (20ms maybe
depending on your speed). But it will tenure much less often and
consequently grow more slowly. This can often compensate for working
sets that are accessed over longer periods of time (I would expect
Seaside to show such behavior).

Cheers,
   - Andreas