my Framework

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 2 22:55:31 UTC 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 1:39 PM, David Zmick <dz0004455 at gmail.com> wrote:
> i am working on a program with a framework, and modules that will plug into
> it, and i need to know how to send a class name around. for example: i have
> a method in one class, that servers as a module, that will "Procces
> Commands" sent to the framework. I have another class that is suposed to
> manage the commands and getting them to the right place.
>
> ManCommands-the command managing class
>
> Framework-the framework that manages input/output
>
> BasicModule1-a module that will eventually be used to run other "modules"
>
> how do i get the framework to tell ManCommands to send the command sent to
> the framework to the ProccessCommand method it BasicModule1>

I've taught Smalltalk to a lot of people.  Based on that experience, I
think you are heading in the wrong direction.  You probably shouldn't
be talking about modules, but about classes.  You shouldn't think
about a module that runs other modules.  Further, classes are objects,
so you usually don't pass names of classes around, but the classes
themselves.

Is this your first Smalltalk system?

-Ralph Johnson