Squeak code now browsable and bookmarkable on the Web

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Jan 5 14:52:57 UTC 2008

Hi Klaus,

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> nice work, and you will find something similiar on the result page of
> http://www.google.com/search?q=OrderedCollection+addAllFirstUnlessAlreadyPresent:

Site with a generated Squeak docs done by Bernd Oldenbuettel looks very
interesting: http://www.oldenbuettel.de/squeak-doku/, both from
organization and design perspective. Maybe is this a way to go?

> May I add 2-3 things:
>
> o fileIn hyperlinks which answer, with content-type: text/plain,
>   the corresponding fileOut (at all the levels) as .st suffixed file,
>   same as local fileOut would do.

Thats interesting idea, probably quite useful too. So every
package/category/class/method would have a FileOut link where you got a
raw Smalltalk code in fileout format. And with a little JavaScript a
browser's Save as dialog is opened to simply saving it.

> o show the annotation info.

What kind of annotation info have you in mind?

> o make available what's inside *each* MC package of the local directory
>   in a similiar fashion, top-entry-point: MCZ package+version file name.

Yes, I'll add packages so that full Url would be
/package/category/class/method.html.

More package info, hmm, where and how to find it? Is it in image?

> Then we could begin making *each*published*version* of every
> class+method *searchable* on the web (and perhaps link from the
> SqueakSource project pages to a server which has some bandwidth for
> crawlers).

Question is where to put version in an Url. I won't put it base Url but
in a query part, but only if we are looking the
non-blessed/current/stable version of a package. Namely, most people
will like to see a current version of a package and very rarely older
ore newer/dev ones. This will also help crawlers to know better, what is
most important.

Example:

for current version 2.1:
	/Swazoo/Swazoo-Core/Site.html
for older beta:
	/Swazoo/Swazoo-Core/Site.html&version=2.1beta1

I would simply extract a version from SqueakSource's .mcz file names,
for example 2.1beta1 from Swazoo-2.1beta1.mcz

Best regards
JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek