Backporting operation in Monticello

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Jan 7 14:07:08 UTC 2008

Hi Alex,

Bergel, Alexandre wrote:

> What is the exact meaning of the Backport button in Monticello?
> The method MCWorkshopCopy>>backportChangesTo: suggest that a package is
> "adapted" to one of its ancestor. Is there a difference with loading a
> new version of its package?

I did the same question recently and just tried it. Backport actually
change a parent version from which you track changes. It seems that is
useful if you change repositories often or (as I use it) to publish
first on local cache, test it, then  backport to last SqueakSource
version and then finally publish new version there. It is similar to
Reconcile  with a database on VW's Store.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek