Dependencies in Monticello?

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Jan 9 16:52:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 11:41 -0300, Bergel, Alexandre wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am wondering whether some of you use dependencies in Monticello?
> Are you happy with it?
> Seaside on Monticello does not seem to make use of them... Is there a
> reason why ?
>
> I think that Damien is using them...

I used it for a while. But they were very annoying when applied
to certain packages. If you use two packages which need a third
package together you are in trouble. It is too easy to downgrade
a dependent package without noticing.

After that I went to an empty top package which has dependencies
to each of the packages it needs. This works quite well but is
annoying, too. If you are deploying based on such a top package
you are forced to save a new top package version whenever one
of the dependent package changes.

I wanted to use MonticelloConfigurations but there is no support
for having directories as repositories (but I got a patch for
it). But this looks like a good approach.

Nowadays I do not use any monticello dependencies. For deployment
I hardcode the versions into a Installer script.

Hope this helps,

Norbert