separator character?

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Thu Jan 10 08:42:31 UTC 2008

itsme213 schrieb:
> Does Squeak allow any character other than 0-9a-zA-Z: in a message name? I
> want to exploit some naming patterns and could make good use of a separator
> character.

At the moment, no.
Smalltalk mostly uses the "CamelCase" convention. The underscore
character _ used in many other programming languages had been used for
the assignment operation (being displayed as a left arrow in the
original Smalltalk-80 fonts).
Squeak still support using _ as assignment and thus can't use it in
identifiers. Other Smalltalk implementations have been using := for
assignment either from the beginning (such as VAST) or after some years
of customers nagging (such as VW :-) ).
There have been discussions on the Squeak mailing list, but at the
moment it does not seem to be planned for the near future.
Personally, I would like to have _ available in identifiers.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin