squeakmap and EOCD Position

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu Jan 10 12:00:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 12:50 +0200, goran at krampe.se wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 01:03 +0200, goran at krampe.se wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > This has been fixed by me - it was the old SHA1 checksum issue again.
> > > This can be seen in the transcript btw.
> > >
> > Good hint :) What is calculated into the SHA1? I only changed the
> > URL for the package not touching the file itself. So how could
> > there be a old hash?
>
> The SHA1 checksum is on the contents of the file only. It is calculated
> when the URL changes and thus - if you upload a new file with the same
> name it will give us trouble. I need to do something smart about this.

Glorp was my first package released on squeakmap. Not knowing the UI
very well I copied the URL of the file manually. Unfortunately it was
the URL for my account /account/files/... which is only valid if I'm
logged in. Another user noticed me about trouble downloading the Glorp
package. Then(!) I noticed the pull down to select uploaded files.
So the file was never touched I just changed the URL for the file. So
it is just to different URLs pointing to the same file.

> But your situation sounds different - for some reason when the server
> downloaded the file into its cache (when you changed the URL in the new
> release (or registered the new release) IIRC) - it appears to have
> gotten the HTML file instead. Not sure exactly why.

> regards, Gran
>
> PS. For those unaware - SM has a server side cache of all registered
> URLs - so that it can still server releases when original URL is for
> some reason not reachable. This is decided on a SHA checksum
> verification. The cached file can be reached using URLs of this kind:

The behaviour I get would be that if the old URL is cached and somehow
used. I don't know how because in the downloaded map it still seems
rigth.

Norbert