separator character?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jan 10 15:12:24 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 9:33 , Keith Hodges wrote:

> itsme213 wrote:
>> Does Squeak allow any character other than 0-9a-zA-Z: in a message =20=

>> name? I
>> want to exploit some naming patterns and could make good use of a =20
>> separator
>> character.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sophie
> I think that there are hacks available to enable $_ to be used in
> message Selectors.
> I have also discovered that $=FB  works as a separator.

Actually, I think you fell for a font bug. The character 222 in =20
iso8859-1 is the letter Thorn, and all letters may be part of =20
selectors. Set your code font to BitstreamVera to see the right =20
glyph. And use this to see all tokenish 8-bit characters (but be sure =20=

to view in in Vera):

((1 to: 255) select: [:i | (Character value: i) tokenish]) =20
asByteArray asString

- Bert -