Changing keyboard binding

Amos aaamos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 10:24:45 UTC 2008

> > I'm trying to change the keyboard binding for "Cmd + up arrow" and
> > "Cmd + down arrow" - they currently scroll the view up/down if the
> > text is long enough, which I don't use at all. But when I modify
> > ParagraphEditor class>>initializeCmdKeyShortcuts and/or
> > ParagraphEditor>>cursorUp: and cursorDown: (which seem to be assigned
> > by initializeCmdKeyShortcuts), it seems that these methods are called
> > only when the up/down arrows are pressed *without* a command key.
> >
> > Does anyone know where this binding to scroll up/down is set and how I
> > can override it? Apparently ParagraphEditor is the wrong place, or did
> > I miss something? Would any of the packages mentioned in
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1844 under "relevant squeak packages"
> > help?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Amos
> >
> > P.S.:  What I'm trying to achieve is to get "Cmd + up/down arrow" to
> > move the lines containing the current selection, or the current line
> > if nothing is selected, up/down by one line.
>
> If you have a scrolling wheel mouse, the VM translates scroll events
> into cmd-up/down keyboard events. These events are used for scrolling
> the views / morphs, see
>
> ScrollController>>scrollByKeyboard
> ScrollPane>>scrollByKeyboard:
>
> - Bert -

Thanks, Bert - I do want to keep that scroll wheel behaviour, and
re-routing the scroll events to do what the key combination did and
then changing the key combination is a bit too awkward and probably
more trouble than it's worth. Guess I'll try to override one of the
other key combinations and map it to a mouse gesture shortcut instead.

I'm still curious, though, as to why the cursorUp: and cursorDown:
methods seem to be assigned to the Cmd shortcuts, yet are only called
(judging from when they hit an inserted halt) when the arrows are
pressed without Cmd keys...