Suspending/resuming processes

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 16:11:43 UTC 2008

Well, in Unix it works like this:

If a process tries to use some contended or unavailable resource it is
taken off the CPU and moved into a wait queue for that resource.
While in a wait queue a process mask is put in place depending on the
queue.  The process mask may say certain signals are simply not
delivered at all, the process may receive the signals after it comes
off the wait queue (e.g. a suspend sent to a process waiting on IO) or
it may be applied while on the queue (e.g. kill/terminate sent to a
process waiting on a semaphore).

So from that point of view the wait queue has a part in the
responsibility of deciding how a process would handle a suspend.

What I plan to do at some point is move Squeak even more toward being
its own OS (e.g. more sophisticated process scheduling at talked about
in a previous thread, etc.).