Programmatically save image, and also do it periodically

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Mon Jan 14 10:56:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 13:23 +0100, Jason Johnson wrote:
> Is an object database like Magma too slow for this? If so, perhaps
> there is a journaling package somewhere (i.e. what ext3, reiserfs and
> any modern filesystem does to ensure no data loss if power is lost) or
> one could be written?

It is a modern myth that journaling filesystems protect you from data
loss. That is not true. It can be achieved to certain degree but
generally speaking it isn't very practical.
A journaling filesystem caches filesystem structure not data. It saves
you from filesystem corruption. You may loose the data which was
written at the time of the failure. But it prevents that you loose
all of the data only because a very prominent filesystem node got
corrupted. Caching all data and writing it to jounal than to the
filesystem would degrade the performance.

Norbert