Simple Image Based Persistence in Squeak

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Jan 15 13:02:14 UTC 2008

Jon Hylands wrote:

>> Well, a database lobby (let me name them such) succeeded to plant deeply
>> in our minds a feeling of fear of anything else than a relational
>> database. A fear of loosing your valuable data, that is. Fear, FUD,
>> always a strong weapon...
>
> Personally, I think you'd be better off using Magma rather than the image.
> I've played a bit with it, and have big plans for the future with it.
>
> Have you tried it, and decided it wasn't usable for your application?

I admit I didn't look at Magma yet.

My comment was directed to relational database vendors, who control our
database mentality and perceptions, and consequently a fear against
databases like Magma (and Gemstone etc) too. But definitively against
image as a database.

Why I like a concept of image as a database? Because it simply works,
and that is my concrete experience. Also a fear of losing data is mostly
baseless - a chance of losing data is very small, again from experience.
So small that it is close to a chance of loosing of data on relational
databases, I would say. That is a strong wording I know, but let we at
least start thinking about this probability.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web