beware GNU Smalltalk if you want to contribute to squeak

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jan 16 14:47:56 UTC 2008

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Just to be clear, if a big chunk of code was "stolen" from GNU Smalltalk
> and put into Squeak Core under MIT license, it would be *me* asking the
> FSF to take action, without waiting for them to notice.  Friendly, yes;
> stupid, no.
>
> OTOH, requiring completely clean-room engineering if features are taken
> from GNU Smalltalk and brought into Squeak is really over the top.

Over the top? It rather sounds like a direct consequence of the first
paragraph. You are basically threatening to take action if you feel
something was "stolen"[*]. Without a clear definition of what that means
(i.e., under which condition use of code from GNU Smalltalk is
permissible in combination with Squeak) the only conclusion is that one
must stay away from GNU Smalltalk as far as possible to avoid potential
litigation. Which is more or less what Randal said initially.

[*] It always amuses me to find Squeak code verbatim in GST; good thing
that we can't threaten action over "stolen" code, eh? ;-) Which, to me,
completely settles the question what licenses *actually* encourage
sharing and which ones don't.

Cheers,
   - Andreas