beware GNU Smalltalk if you want to contribute to squeak

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jan 16 16:14:33 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Paolo" == Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu.org> writes:

Paolo> OTOH, requiring completely clean-room engineering if features are taken
Paolo> from GNU Smalltalk and brought into Squeak is really over the top.  I'm
Paolo> pretty sure the FSF doesn't want to be labeled as the free-software
Paolo> SCO...

You have a very different impression of the FSF (as an embodiment of RMS'
goals) than I do.  I've spent a few hours with RMS directly (he was on a
week-long Geekcruise that I produced, and I've spoken at three conferences
where he was also speaking).  Tainting the Squeak core because of a copying is
*precisely* what RMS would want, and therefore likely what the FSF would
*do*.

Sure, just my opinion, as yours is yours.  But I do base my opinion on having
seen RMS up close. :)