squeak-dev friendly for newcomer

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 23:17:09 UTC 2008

squeak-dev friendly for newcomer

***

at ofset.org> wrote:
>> Squeak-dev is very friendly for newcomer to Squeak.
I use it to invite
>> people to join on DrGeoII development.
>>
>> One think could make it even more user friendly:
turning on the "_
>> conversion to :=" preference by default.
>>
>> Of course for Squeak experts who prefer using _ ,
changing back the
>> preference will be easy, far more easier than it
will be for newbie.

>This preference does not change the way the method is
saved, only the
>way it is displayed. I think it can be interesting to
turn this on.
>What do other think?
***
+10

Absolutely necessary.

Squeak needs to transition to := in all ways possible.
Printing out := means the next time a method is
modified and saved it has phased out its use of
underscore for assignment.

Currently the existence of the preference for printing
underscore undermines all the work attempted in 3.9 to
transition to :=.

You can not use underscore as within a squeak name
because:

this_is_actually_five_variables := 0 .

Even if you used one of Keith Hodge's schemes to
intern a variable with an interenal underscore, a
round trip fileout and filein would get you the wrong
result.

So please. Set this preference. (Or, and I highly
recommend this, SET the choice and remove the option
of a preference).

As Hercules found out you can't clean the stables
until you are willing to kill all the horses. (And the
king tends to get mad at you. ;-)

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace