Delta streams status (was Re: monticello question)

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 05:32:21 UTC 2008

Cool, thanks for the update (a couple of comments below)

On Jan 23, 2008 1:08 AM, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:

> All these changes will  bring  deltas up to the usability level
> of change-sets. At this point, I will probably make a release
> and try to get it into LPF as an alpha-level addition. It should
> be usable and stable enough to replace change sets at this
> point, even though delta streams are not even implemented yet.

That's good news.  I had a pay project out there to add undo
functionality to existing change sets to make them a little better,
but Goran came up with this idea just before we had a release ready.
:)  Story of my life around here.

But it's good to see that you will be able to replace existing change
sets.  I have in mind a change management system myself that will
leverage your work.

> After that point, I will need to start implementing
> DeltaStreams.  First, I will need a much better file-out format
> for deltas (something forward-compatible like chunk format, XML,
> Atom, or Spoon).  the current file-out format is a
> version-specific binary DataStream format that is not compatible
> across releases.

And this will replace the .changes file we have now, yes?  If so, do
you have a way of converting the existing changes in the system over
so nothing is lost in the conversion?

> After that, I will start implementing Delta
> stream, which will allow the remote subscription to various
> update streams to work.
>
> Releases are unscheduled.

Sure.  I understand your time situation very well.  I certainly didn't
mean my mail as some kind of push, I was just curious if there was a
place somewhere I could keep current with the status.  Thanks for
that.