Delta streams status (was Re: monticello question)

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 17:40:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 8:49 AM, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm. I don't recall that. How did it work?

The project (or the pay system)?  Assuming you meant the project, all
it was was making the #undo (or whatever it is) message on change sets
actually work.  And it worked well, but Goran announced Delta streams
days before it was ready so I didn't bother trying to get it into the
3.10.

> Oh? Do tell. If you would like to contribute to DeltaStreams;
> feel free. The repository is world-writable.

Oh, it will be a while.  I actually have less free time then you! :)
Basically I have looked into Darcs a bit, and much of the complexity
of that system comes from the fact that it can't make many assumptions
about what it is revisioning.  Smalltalk by contrast, can know
everything it wants to about the source code it's revisioning.
Getting undo to work was the first step in that direction, but now I
will just use Delta streams instead since it's cleaner then the old
change set stuff.

The "killer app" feature of Darcs is "cherry picking" and Smalltalk
has that for free already at any stage the developer wants, instead of
at the end as Darcs has to do it.

> No. I have no plans to get rid of the .changes file anytime
> soon. After streams are implemented, I plan to get logging
> working so it is quite superior to the .changes file, and maybe
> after that look into removing the .changes file. DeltaStreams
> will probably need a 1.0 release before I even consider
> replacing the .changes file. So until that time comes,
> delta streams will live side-by-side the .changes
> file, duplicating what it is doing, but more nicely.

Fair enough.