Vats, Islands, and Collections: Finding cheap parallelism

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 16:43:51 UTC 2008

In SqueakElib, each object in the collection would need to be placed in a
different Vat.  Then you just run your Collection>>#do: or
Collection>>#collect: over the elements and then any msgs sent to each
element in the block will evaluate in the various vats.  No special syntax
is needed.  In the case of #collect:, the evaluation will initially return
promises, which will later resolve to the result of the msg send, which may
be the result of the block.   The blocks themselves are not remotely
evaluated.

Another way to go is to convert the collection to an eventual reference and
send msgs to it, while still allocating the elements to different vats:
    aColl eventual collect: aBlock.
These msgs would be evaluated in the current vat, except for those sent to
the elements, but you would always get back an eventual ref to a collection
holding promises for the results of the block evaluations.  It would be more
consistent to use this approach.

Rob