Musings about modularity and programming in the large

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 06:17:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 1:08 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> I heard about this a while ago. IIRC perl having per-object behavior
> customization.
> But this can be easily made , when object model is prototype based
> (perl/javascript).

Perl has the almost exactly the same OO system Lua has, i.e. nearly
nothing.  In both cases, OO systems are added as libraries (you're
probably thinking of one called Moose).  But perl's "object model" is
not prototype based, just some of the modules on CPAN duck tape such a
model on.

The prototype method of OO is interesting.  It's a shame the best
incarnation of it, Self, seems to be defunct at the moment.  I hope it
comes back some day.