Vats, Islands, and Collections: Finding cheap parallelism

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 08:17:01 UTC 2008

> My mentor's prefered demo app is a ray-tracer.
> Computatation-intensive floating stuff. Scientific applications,
> image processing, and all that.
>
> And maybe a tricksy renderer for Morphic 3 :)

Yes, raytracing is a good example, where we can easily see the
benefits of parallelism.
Interesting, that by increasing number of cores for desktop PC, its
now possible to create real-time raytracing renderers which making
whole GPU industry look stupid way to go, obsolete and losing
perspective, because there is no need in creating specialized hardware
for rendering graphics, when CPU can do the same (and even more).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.