Vats, Islands, and Collections: Finding cheap parallelism

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:18:22 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 9:17 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, raytracing is a good example, where we can easily see the
> benefits of parallelism.
> Interesting, that by increasing number of cores for desktop PC, its
> now possible to create real-time raytracing renderers which making
> whole GPU industry look stupid way to go, obsolete and losing
> perspective, because there is no need in creating specialized hardware
> for rendering graphics, when CPU can do the same (and even more).

Oh, but I like having different CPUs for different functions.  I would
like to have a CPU(s) that handled only the file related things
(including searching and stuff like that), CPUs for graphics, etc.,
rather then a central set of CPUs that everything has to pass through.
 Kind of the way repetitive tasks are pushed down into muscle memory
so your brain doesn't need to be burdened with it anymore.