Morphic 3 presentation at Smalltalks 2007

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:27:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 10:29 AM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> What I don't have in my current plans is to work on a
> GUI builder.

Well, I guess I understand more about Morphic now.  I was expecting
some big "wow!" with it like I had with the rest of Smalltalk, but it
seems like it is a GUI system that the "designer" is part of the
display medium itself (world) instead of a separate application.

Having said that, I think what would really help Morphic be more
accessible would simply be a "toolbox" application that showed all
Morphs.  But not just a trivial dump of the morphs like is done now in
the menus, but a context sensitive toolbox.  That is, if I have a
Morph that works with Music, then the toolbox will present Morphs that
are registered to work with Music Morphs.  If I am working with
Database-aware Morphs, then applicable other Database-aware Morphs
show up.  Of course I would want this toolbox to also show other
applicable components that don't have a graphical display, but their
only function is adding some feature to Morphs present on the form
they are added to.

Maybe we could design some protocol that would allow Morphs to answer
questions about themselves to allow this sort of contextual
classification.