Real profiling: Why is my UI so slow?

Tom Phoenix rootbeer at redcat.com
Sat Jan 26 17:11:22 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 10:25 PM, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've often wondered why the browser is so slow too, and now I
> have the need to find out. So, How does one go about debugging
> this?

Have you tried interrupting it? While you're waiting for Squeak to
respond, use the Cmd-period (Alt-period) interrupt to bring up a
debugger (and a new main event loop, if needed). From there, you may
still have a slow UI, but it should be fairly straightforward to see
what method is taking a long time to respond. (My money is on #hash,
but you never know.)

Good luck with it!

--Tom Phoenix