Promoting Squeak/Smalltalk

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:00:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 04:45:18PM -0600, David Zmick wrote:
>    I have been wondering how to make smalltalk a more "popular" language,
>    because i think it is excellent, and i think it would be good to try to
>    get other people to use it, because, i don't notice to many younger
>    programmers, like myself, using smalltalk, though, i may be wrong.

I am 22, which is younger than everyone else I've asked here.

>    One of
>    the first thing i would think of to promote smalltalk would be writing
>    programs in smalltalk instead of just making smalltalk better, i am not
>    trying to discourage improvement on smalltalk, but if all you are
>    developing is a language for people to continue to develop a language in,
>    it seems like a waste of time.

If it is fun, it is not a waste of time for that person. . But
you are right; it should not be the only direction we pursue. I
really want to push that as the vision for the next release
team.

>    The only program I know about, as in big,
>    large scale programs, written in smalltalk is PetroVR, i may be wrong
>    there to, but i see smalltalk as an excellent development environment and
>    language, but, nothing big is written in it, and it will never grow if the
>    community is focused entirely on making smalltalk better.

There are lots of big seaside projects; the biggest is
dabbledb.com. Croquet is pretty big too.