Problems in Squeak 3.9

squeak-dev.5.pris at spamgourmet.com squeak-dev.5.pris at spamgourmet.com
Wed Jan 30 05:27:49 UTC 2008

Squeak 3.9
latest update #7068
I'm running this on Ubuntu Linux.

1) First a problem with the Squeak GUI.
This happens if you pressed caps-lock without noticing. To replicate
the problem, open a browser and make a change in the workspace. Now
press Caps-lock. Then try to close the browser window and you can't!
When this happened to me I wasn't aware of the caps-lock and ended up
shutting down Squeak the hard way. Try it out to see what I mean.

2) A bug with SketchMorph
I was following the tutorial, which uses SketchMorph:
http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/078.htm

Unfortunately I wasn't aware that this class is not working
properly(more on that at 3). I finally switched to ImageMorph and got
the problem fixed.
When I read the documentation of ImageMorph I found the following:

Relationship to SketchMorph: ImageMorph should be favored over
SketchMorph, a parallel, legacy class -- see the Swiki FAQ for details
( http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1372 ).

It would be sensible to put a corresponding notice in the SketchMorph,
otherwise you won't have a clue about this, and btw update the
tutorial to use ImageMorph also.  Btw this took me over 10 hours to
debug, because I first thought this was some problem with Squeak
events.

3) Bug with SketchMorph.

The problem is in this message:

containsPoint: aPoint
	^ (self bounds containsPoint: aPoint) and:
	  [(self rotatedForm isTransparentAt: aPoint - bounds origin) not]

Even if the point is in SketchMorph the following expression returns
true: (self rotatedForm isTransparentAt: aPoint - bounds origin)
and so the MouseClick isn't detected.

This message is send from the MorphicEventDispatcher to check the mouse click:
aMorph containsPoint: anEvent cursorPoint event: anEvent

4) Bug with Morph class. The message wantsHaloFromClick always answers
true. It should be possible to turn this off, I don't want halos from
submorphs.

5) Question: In the GUI editor wow do I change instance messages into
class messages? The only way I know is copying by hand then deleting
the old one.

6) What would be the best way to accomplish the following: I have a
morph and in it I want to have a canvas where I can draw, fill
rectangles and also write text in various positions. How do I best
embed a Canvas into a Morph?

Roland