Promoting Squeak/Smalltalk

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Jan 30 09:20:26 UTC 2008

On 29-Jan-08, at 9:48 PM, Laurence Rozier wrote:

> While I don't agree, I also don't see anything inherently wrong or
> bad about this view - to each his own. However, it isn't consistent
> with the original goals of Smalltalk nor the "programming for the
> rest of us" statement currently on the Squeak About page. I know
> there are others who  don't want to see the community expand very
> much and if that is a consensus then the About page ought to be
> changed to reflect it. Although Smalltalk as an SDK is a stretch in
> my view, Croquet makes clear who its audience is - truth in
> advertising. If the Squeak community really doesn't want Squeak to
> be for "everyone" that ought to be clear up front.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that we make the community
into some kind of elitist club where outsiders aren't welcome. I
really like the way this community treats newcomers, and I wouldn't
want to change that. I'm a recent arrival myself!

What I *am* saying is that I don't think we should be trying to
achieve "popularity." We should put our efforts into developing our
technology and empowering the community. If that happens to attract
new members, great! If not, that's fine too. The community we have
today is large enough to be successful.

Colin