Promoting Squeak/Smalltalk

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 17:43:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 12:42 AM, Joshua Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:

> What do you
> think the costs are? (I can think of a few, but I'm curious about what
> others think)

Well, as other's have said, languages having huge libraries doesn't
mean they're good.  Of course a good counter argument to that is "who
cares, I can get X done very quickly.  We can always fix the library
later if it matters".

But the thing I would be most worried about is that what would happen
to the *language* if it became popular.  If Squeak became the #1 used
language tomorrow that would mean we get the bulk of the people
programming today.  And the bulk of the people programming today seem
*extremely* adverse to learning new languages or new (better!) ways of
doing things.  Even with the small-ish community we have now, we see
requests to add some silly/useless/redundant feature to the language
that their old language had, every couple of months.

As for the job question:  http://www.paulgraham.com/notnot.html
(especially bullet 16).