OBSystemBrowser vs. Browser

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Jan 30 19:55:58 UTC 2008

On 29-Jan-08, at 1:41 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> The chasing browsers are useful, but I noticed that most people don't
> understand how they work. Another thing is that they get extremely
> slow as soon as you are in the second or third column. I know that
> this is the same with my inspectors for example. I guess this could be
> fixed with some smart caches?

That's odd. As far as I can tell, adding a pane to a chasing browser
takes the same amount of time as opening a new browser.  Ben had the
same complaint, but when we did side-by-side tests, he agreed that,
objectively, the wait was the same, but he found it more annoying in a
chasing browser.

> I never noticed a big reduction of windows with OB. The chasing
> browser is a browser that I keep open only for relatively short time.

True. But I find that when I'm finished looking at senders, I only
have to close one window, rather than 7.

> Also because its live views are slowing down the system. The problem
> is that I usually end up with tons of the System Browsers. The Search
> Browser is useless to me, because it doesn't remember the state of the
> view and it only works together with the System Browser.

What do you mean by the "the state of the view?" I find don't use the
SearchBrowser much either, but in the few cases where I do use it,
it's quite useful. I think it has a lot of potential, but still needs
some work.

> I started a quick prototype of a tabbed browser [1].

Ok, I'll take a look.

Colin