Editing class method sources in single place

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jan 31 00:22:30 UTC 2008

On 30-Jan-08, at 2:39 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> You can scroll to other method using keys, instead click-click , open
> new browser window and click, totally losing your focus.
Could trivially be implemented, if indeed some analogue of alt-tab
type window cycling hasn't already been done. How is moving the code
around in a single view any different focus-wise to looking at a
different window?

> You can do a full-text search on listing.
You can do that in Squeak already.

> With some shortcuts it's easy to make actions like moving caret to
> different method, simply by typing first letters of it's selector.
Within the method list that already happens, pretty much. So add a key
to jump up to the method list or add access to that functionality to
the texteditor morph(s)

> What else can be done: more reacher editor functionality:
> - bookmarks, letting you remember and then jump to previously
> bookmarked method.
An open browser is a pretty good bookmark, with the added advantage
that you can type remarks into the text there. For example, if I have
to leave a bit of editing unfinished overniht I will often type
XXXXXXX working on frobulating the libnoz XXXXXXX
into the code.

> - edit window splitting , when you need to code something, while
> referring to other methods/sources.
Many browsers open at once solves that problem much more effectively.

Before anyone tries to tell me I should try an editor with splittable
windows and bookmarks etc. I should perhaps point out that I spent
nearly 20 years using one for my C coding. Within that style it is of
some use but Smalltalk allows a much nicer style. I'm no more likely
to accept your arguments on the matter than I would accept claims that
"you people need to change the syntax to match visual basic".

tim
Useful random insult:- His page was intentionally left blank.