lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 02:22:31 UTC 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 2:27 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> Hi Gulik,
>
> Michael van der Gulik wrote:
> >

> > On Jan 31, 2008 12:04 AM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org
> > <mailto:juan at jvuletich.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Gulik,
> >
> >     Morphic 3 supports arbitrary non-linear coordinate systems. I don't
> >     understand how you envision rendering over those targets. Morphic
> >     3 has
> >     a rendering engine that renders on Squeak Display, as current
> >     Morphic's
> >     canvases with Balloon 2D and BitBlt.
> >
> >     Please read my documents, and let's talk about coordinate systems!
> >     Currently I have implemented Cartesian, LogX and a few cartographic.
> >     Watch the demo at Smalltalks 2007 at
> >     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TGhRZUSOo . It is worth watching
> even
> >     if you don't understand my Spanish.
> >

> > Could you give a few examples of where the arbitrary coordinate
> > systems would actually be useful? This is the part I'm confused about
> > - you're focussing on them a lot, but I don't see why.
> >
> > I would have thought it would be up to the application to provide the
> > logorithmic coordinate mappings rather than the GUI.
> >
> That how it is usually done. So that code is repeated in various
> applications, the behavior is neither consistent nor correct (see my
> approach to pixel independent rendering), there is duplicated effort,
> many bugs appears, etc. Please do read
>
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2007/St2007VuletichMorphic3TalkProposal.pdf
> . Also read http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_02.html
> and http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_032.html . I try
> to make my point there. I don't know what to say but repeat what I wrote
> there. If I'm not clear enough or you don't agree with me, tell me!

Could you give some examples of where a non-linear coordinate system would
be useful? I don't understand why you would want them in the GUI rather than
the application.

What other features does Morphic 3 have? All I'm seeing is "non-linear
coordinate systems".

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg