Editing class method sources in single place

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 06:59:54 UTC 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 3:58 AM, Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:

>         You say this almost like it's a bad thing. It's only bad when people do
> (a), and if they do (a) anyway, moving the brick wall up so that they hit
> it right at the beginning makes it more likely that they're going to think
> that it sucks, because there's not enough time for anything new to
> insinuate itself in to their thought processes.

I think doing (a) is a bad thing.  Anyone can do (a) to a new
technology (I know I have, even to Smalltalk once upon a time), and to
me that means they are not ready to look at it.  Moving the wall only
changes what they complain about.  If one is too accommodating one
ends up changing Smalltalk to be source file based instead of image
based so newbies understand what's going on better.

>         I love Smalltalk: It's informed my programming for 15 years now. But it
> does not suit the way I work at all. I write tiny little routines and
> objects in all the languages I work in (even in procedural languages) but
> I can write a lot more a lot quicker if I don't have to take my hands off
> the keyboard.

That sounds to me like an indication that the Smalltalk browser needs
some of the keyboard shortcuts your other environments have.  I
suppose you achieve some of this by simply dumping a bunch of methods
in one text area, but wouldn't it be better to attack the root of the
problem?