lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Jan 31 15:12:42 UTC 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> The way I would do your demo in OpenGL would be that every morph
> renders to its own off-screen surface, and when compositing, it would
> apply the non-linear transformation. This is now a standard
> implementation technique, except it usually is not used for projective
> geometry but for fancy effects (like the Genie effect when minimizing
> Mac OS X windows).
>
> Mind I did not understand what you said in the talk, just commenting
> on the visuals ...
>
> - Bert -

Yes. But you would be doing only a part of it in OpenGL. The geometric
deformations would still be needed, but working only on bitmaps. The
quality would not be as good (for things like CurveMorphs) because the
off-screen surface would have some specific resolution, that could be
too coarse for those areas that are enlarged by the non-linear
transformation. Think for example on a graph with logarithmic X. Pixels
in the off-screen surface would be too big at the left of the graph and
too small at the right.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich