Promoting Squeak/Smalltalk

Laurence Rozier laurence.rozier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:58:33 UTC 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 11:12 AM, Diego Fernández <diegof79 at gmail.com> wrote:

> To me one of the issues that we have to attack to make Smalltalk more
> popular in the business arena is: isolation.
>
> I mean, currently Smalltalk developments are "isolated" in two ways:

This is true and you make many other good observations. Since these tend to
apply within just the world of Squeak and there exists a spectrum of funded
entities it would seem that the prospects for improving the situation are
better there. In order for that to happen some small group of people will
have to decide that it's in their collective interests to establish and
maintain a Squeak kernel. The only way for the Squeak Foundation to do this
is to convince at least 3-4 of the highly visible projects - say Squeakland,
Croquet, Seaside to commit to a common foundation. Personally, I'd rather
see the Croquet Consortium taking the lead as I believe that 3D
collaboration is the near-term future of programming and they represent the
largest group of folk with something at stake. I've made this call in the
past and gotten no response but remain confident that it will in some way
shape or form happen because the cost of doing it isn't that high relative
to the impact it could have for the primary stakeholder.

Cheers,

Laurence