[squeak-dev] The Primitive: I am not a number- I am a named prim! - SqueakPeople article

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 03:27:39 UTC 2008

2008/7/1 tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> On 30-Jun-08, at 6:02 PM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:34 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>> I am trying to make time to post a few articles on some future directions
>> I consider interesting for the core system.
>>
>> First one is up at http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/89.html - do
>> please comment on the relevant page, or even here.
>>
>> Does every numbered prim also have a name or named equivalent?
>
> It's just a prim, ie a function somewhere.
>
> I'm proposing that we name all those prims that are currently numbered -
> primitive 1 would become "primitiveAdd" in a similar manner to say
> "primitiveDisablePowerManager".  This would allow all prims to be built as
> plugin components, thereby allowing on the fly replacement of those plugins
> (making due allowance for handling retained state etc, of course). (It's
> sometihng I've been wanting to see done since 1988; I had discussions with
> Alan Schiffman & Peter Deutsch about it way before I even move to
> ParcPlace). We would lose the primitive table, saving a 8 kb or so. Oh and
> the *really* obsoleteIndexPrimitiveTable, saving another 8Kb or so.

err... a primitive names, will add about same or even more space (in
fact it will make VM and image both little bigger ). So its unlikely
that new VM will have less memory footprint, but more likely that it
would be simplified a bit comparing to old ways how it works with
primitives.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.